Friday, November 23, 2007

Local Thanksgiving and DDW Week 6

We managed to have a mostly local Thanksgiving! All the main ingredients were local with most of the support ingredients being not local. I'm counting it as our week 6 meal since we will be eating it for the next 3 days and nothing else is going to get cooked.



We started with butternut squash soup for lunch. The butternut and bacon were local. The onion and thyme weren't. I haven't been able to find local onions anywhere, the drought really knocked them out. This soup was glorious, even Mark who claims to not like butternut squash soup loved it!







For dinner, we had a local turkey from Locust Point Farm. We had to wait in line for over 30 minutes to pick it up. I was thrilled to see so many people eating a local turkey this year!




Everything on this plate is local. The corn was frozen back in August. The sweet potatoes were given to us by the CSA. And we already talked about the turkey. Not local is all the herbs and spices except the rosemary, which came from my backyard.



I also made whole wheat rolls using Farm mom's recipe using local Daisy flour and a local egg. The yeast and sugar were not local.



For dessert we had blackberry crisp with blackberries Logan and I picked and froze in July. The flour in the crisp was local, but the sugar and oats were not. I failed to get a picture of this, it was gone too fast!



I would put this meal at 75% local, maybe higher depending on if you do it by volume of the ingredients or just number of ingredients. We had quite a few non-local ingredients but they were all the spices, herbs and back up stuff, all used in small amounts. All the main ingredients were local.

3 comments:

Stacey said...

Happy Thanksgiving, I wish we had had a turkey like your's.

Akkire said...

what's your recipe for squash and bacon soup? I love squash soup and I love bacon...why didn't I think of putting them together!

Christy said...

Erikka - the soup was really easy. I cooked the bacon and then some onion in the bacon grease. These went into the food processor with the cooked squash, it was all pureed together and added to a pot to simmer for 20 minutes. I added thyme and cayenne pepper as my spices and then a little cream at the end to make it a little thicker. It was so good I can't even begin to put it into words. I need to go stock up on some butternuts before they are all gone!